Tuesday, July 20, 2010

Attempting to recreate!

So for my Birthday this year we went to Dinner at Roy's at the Garden-walk in Anaheim if you don't know me I kind of like anything Hawaiian! So we ordered dinner and I decided to be adventurous and get cedar smoked Salmon ( I now know that I do not like the taste of cedar) Chad got amazing short ribs. So I decided to investigate a little and remade the recipe.
Red Wine Braised Beef Short Ribs
2lbs Beef
Chuck cut into four equal portions
1 medium white onion
1
small carrot
1 stalk celery
5 cloves garlic
2 Tbs. tomato
paste
1 cup red wine (I used Blackstone Merlot)
4 cup beef stock
4 sprigs fresh
thyme
1 sprig fresh basil
light virgin olive oil
S & P
Heat heavy bottom pot on the stove at medium high heat and add a little oil. Season the beef with salt & pepper then add to the pot when it just begins to smoke. Brown all sides, then add the Onion stir for 30 seconds and add the carrot and celery stir to incorporate again and toss in the garlic last so it doesn't burn and get bitter and allow to caramelize. Turn the heat to medium and add the tomato paste, cook gently for a couple minutes stirring frequently so it doesn't burn. Next add the wine and reduce by half, then the stock and herbs. Bring the liquid to a slow simmer and cook for about 1-1 ½ hours until tender. Remove the Short Ribs to a dish, strain the liquid and ladle over the top of the beef. 

No comments:

Post a Comment